Miscarriage Counselling service
Not all patients who come through the Miscarriage Management program will have a baby. That's another reason we offer a counselling service, to provide you with the support you need to maintain your strength and optimism in difficult times.
Each stage of the Miscarriage Management program includes counselling sessions where you can talk through your feelings with experienced fertility counsellors. You will also receive one-on-one support from your doctor and nurse coordinator.
What does counselling offer?
- You might well want to consider specialised supportive counselling from professionals experienced in this kind of maternal and paternal loss. Counselling offers an opportunity to share your thoughts and feelings about your pregnancy, the miscarriage and your grief. Counselling provides a specific framework in which the grief can be worked through at a pace appropriate for you.
- Grief counselling can be tailored to the specific nature of grief following pregnancy loss.
- Psychological intervention is sometimes necessary to treat reactive depression.
- Ongoing support may be required over time to assist women as they begin to recover from their loss and consider their future.
- Ongoing support could also be required during a subsequent pregnancy when many women report feeling anxious about the possibility of experiencing another loss.
If you are not sure whether counselling is appropriate for you, please contact Genea and talk to a counsellor. Feel free to ask any questions and then see what you think - there is no obligation to make an appointment.
You can find out more information about miscarriage in our Library.