Simple steps to improve your natural fertility
Find out more about natural fertility at Genea Holistic or call us on 1300 367 198
Couples often want to know what they can do to help improve their natural fertility before trying any fertility treatment. I have made a short list that includes things everyone can do to help improve their natural fertility:
1) Maintain a healthy body weight – Being overweight can affect fertility in both men and women by affecting hormones in the body so it is important to try to maintain a healthy body weight through diet and exercise. If you have trouble maintain your weight then you can seek help via your GP or visit our Fertility Fit® section on our website.
2) Stop smoking – Smoking is bad for fertility and passive smoking (being in a smoky environment) is just as bad. Thankfully nowadays public places are mostly smoke-free but if you find yourself in this sort of environment then it’s best to leave. If you are having trouble stopping smoking then your GP can give you advice and support - there is also help to outsmart cigarettes here.
3) Eat Well – Having a healthy diet is very important to our bodies. It helps to maintain a health weight and makes it easier to maintain a healthy hormonal balance. Certain foods are considered good foods to eat to help improve fertility. These include foods rich in Vitamin B, C, Folic Acid and antioxidants. Organic foods are preferable as they won’t contact pesticides which can affect men and women’s fertility. Zinc supplements for men have also been shown to be of benefit for some. A good antioxidant supplement for men and women can be taken, but it is important to remember that this should not replacement a healthy diet. Alcohol and caffeine should not be taken in excess, but the occassional glass of wine and cup of coffee is not going have a negative impact on your fertility.
4) Reduce Stress – This is a tricky one as it’s easier said than done and it’s also very difficult to measure stress levels and how much affect they have on fertility. The whole process of trying to conceive can be stressful in itself so reducing stress levels in other parts of your life if possible just makes sense. Everyone is different though when it comes to what works for them, but some examples of good ways to reduce stress are:
- Talking to someone, whether its a friend or a professional counsellor,
- Exercise – releases endorphins which make you feel good,
- Laughing – go to see a funny movie or just do something that makes you laugh, it releases tension and helps to make you feel good.
- Yoga, meditation, and acupuncture – have been found to have very positive affects on some people.
Whether you choose to do one of these or find your own stress reducer, it will all help your general wellbeing.
5) Get enough sleep – We all know that lack of sleep can lead to all kinds of health problems, so it makes sense that if you are trying to improve your fertility getting a minimum of 7 hours a night will potentially have health benefits for you and your body and therefore your fertility. Lack of sleep increases stress levels and can create hormonal inbalances - a good nights sleep will go a long way to helping to resolve this.
6) For the men – All of the above applies to men as well as women but there are a couple of extra things they can do to help their fertility. Don’t overheat the testicles if you can help it or wear restrictive underwear, so boxers are better than briefs. Avoid sitting for long periods as this can restrict the blood flow to the reproductive region so try to get up and walk about as often as you can. A recent study showed that laptops were not good for sperm either due to overheating – so avoid this as well.