Your Genea Counsellor will ask you about your background, your history of infertility, the effects of infertility on you and how you have managed the stresses of infertility to date. The kinds of issues, which often come up for couples include:
- dealing with the emotional rollercoaster ride;
- coping with other peoples’ pregnancies and children;
- how/if to tell family/friends/colleagues;
- managing stress;
- relationship difficulties with partner, family and/or friends; and
- moving towards consideration of other options e.g. egg donation, adoption.
Infertility is often difficult to manage, and is exacerbated when it is prolonged, when there isn’t family or social support at hand, when there are other major stresses in your life, or when you have had other losses. The counsellor’s role is to provide a framework for you to explore your thoughts and feelings, to enhance your coping strategies, and to anticipate and assist in managing IVF treatment stresses.